Minutes of PPG Meeting
16th September 2019
This is a summary of what happened at our PPG Face-to- Face Group meeting on 16th
Six members and the Practice Business Manager were present. There were two apologies
We received an update from the Business Manager about:
• the impact of the triage system on telephone calls at Hastings Old Town Surgery;
• the timing of the relocation of the Old Town Surgery from the High Street to Rock-a-
• Rother District Council’s planning approval for use of The Smuggler public house as a
surgery to replace the surgery at Chapel Lane, Guestling;
• future changes to the Practice’s management structure in response to the CQC
inspection report; and
• the issues raised at the HOTRA meeting on 12th September.
• What information we should seek from prospective PPG members to help us decide
how well our PPG reflects the Practice’s patient population;
• How our co-chairs will operate – they will chair alternate meetings;
• PPG publicity including the size, contents and distribution of our new PPG leaflet;
• PPG information displayed in Guestling Surgery;
• The Practice’s website;
• Issues arising from the Hastings & Rother CCG Patient Participation Forum in August;
• Upcoming events of interest to PPG members.
We accepted an invitation to visit the new surgery in Rock-a-Nore Road before it opens.
We agreed to:
• Ask patients under the age of 18 wanting to join our PPG to provide written consent
from their parent or guardian, and to add this to our draft constitution;
• Investigate ways in which we might reach out to under-18s if they are reluctant to
join our PPG;
• Meet next on 21st October.
19th August 2019
This is a summary of what happened at our PPG Face-to- Face Group meeting on 19th August 2019
Our newly re-formed PPG face-to-face group met for its first proper meeting. Seven members were
present, there was one apology for absence, and Dr Namvar and our Deputy Practice Manager were
We received an update on developments from Dr Namvar covering: the need to find a new home for
Guestling Surgery; the relocation of Hastings Old Town Surgery (HOTS) to the Ice House in Rock-a-
Nore Road; suspension of the on-line booking system for GP appointments and the new triage
system at HOTS; and two new nurse practitioners joining the Practice in September.
• The Practice’s hopes for the new PPG;
• Confidentiality and declarations of interest policy;
• A draft constitution;
• The HOTRA meeting to be held on 12th September;
• PPG publicity and notice boards in surgery waiting areas;
• Whether explanations of what patients can expect from using email, Patient Access, MJog
Messenger and the new triage system might be improved and how the PPG could help with
• The need for printed copies of the Practice’s newsletter to be available in the surgeries.
We agreed to:
• Meet monthly on the third Monday of each month but keep this under review;
• Have some meetings at Guestling Surgery;
• Trial the draft constitution for 6-months;
• Send representatives from our PPG to the next Hastings & Rother CCG Patient Participation
Forum on 22nd August;
• Meet next on 16th September.
23rd July 2019
This is a summary of what happened at our PPG meeting held on 23rd July 2019.
Our PPG had been dormant since 2017. A group of patients interested in re-starting the
group met with our Practice manager. A representative from the Clinical Commissioning
Group and the Chair of Beaconsfield PPG were on hand to explain and answer questions
about how PPGs operate with face-to-face groups and virtual groups, and what we needed
to do to get our PPG going again.
We elected Grace and Kate to co-chair our new PPG, Ron to be acting secretary and
Marjorie to look after our notice boards.
We also discussed:
• drafting a new constitution and agreed to start work on that;
• the extent to which the CQC inspectors are interested in the PPG;
• a HOTRA meeting in September which would include a session on developments at
the Hastings Old Town Surgery; and
• the PPG’s involvement in the introduction of online consultations later in the year.
We agreed to meet next on 19th August 2019.